Ready to head off on your travels? Whether you’re doing a short trip in Europe, backpacking in Asia, or hitting the beaches of Australia, your luggage is a crucial part of your trip. To help you with the big question ‘Backpack or Suitcase’, we’ve compiled a list of our top five solutions…
Things to consider…
- Size: Be sure to get a bag that can carry all your essentials for a comfortable trip. We suggest a bag/suitcase (max 20kg) and a small carry-on ‘day bag’.
- Durability: Don’t go for a super cheap option, pay more and get something that will last. Consider factors such as weather resistance, tear resistance, and the quality of zippers.
- Comfort: Choose a bag that is comfortable to carry, whether you prefer backpack-style straps, a shoulder strap, or a handle. Look for bags with padding and support in areas that will be in contact with your body.
- Organization: Consider the number and type of pockets and compartments in the bag. Choose a bag that allows you to easily access and organize your items.
- Weight: Remember that you will need to carry your bag around, so choose a bag that is lightweight and won’t add unnecessary weight to your load.
For all of you free-spirited wanderers out there, a traditional backpack is a must-have. It’s lightweight, versatile, and perfect for exploring new places. Whether you’re hitting the trails or exploring a new city, a backpack is a perfect choice. Just keep in mind that packing and accessing your stuff on the fly can be a bit of a hassle.
Tip: Get yourself some packing cubes because these bad boys will be a life safer on the road. Makes packing and unpacking far easier!
Front Loader Backpack:
This is a great hybrid option for those who want the convenience of a backpack with the ease of access of a duffel bag. It’s perfect for the organized adventurer who wants to have easy access to their belongings. It might not have as much storage space as a traditional backpack, but it’s definitely more convenient.
Looking for a luggage option that’s simple, convenient and not a backpack? Well, a duffel bag with a single compartment might be the perfect choice for your next adventure. With its spacious interior and easy-to-carry design, you can pack everything you need for your solo travel or group trip without the fuss of multiple pockets and compartments.
FYI: The big negative about duffel bags vs backpacks is the lack of back support, it can get a bit tricky if you overpack and you struggle to carry it.
For those of you who really don’t fancy the backpack option, a wheeled suitcase is the next best thing. You’ll find navigating the airport a dream, and it’s perfect for those who don’t want to worry about carrying their stuff. Just know that it might not be the most versatile option out there, and navigating it on uneven terrain can be a bit of a pain vs a backpack.
- Antler Clifton Lightweight Beige Suitcase
- American Tourister Soundbox Suitcase
- Samsonite Graphite Neopulse Suitcase
The danger with a wheelie suitcase is overpacking… don’t go too crazy and remember you’ll need to be lugging it around!
If you’re looking for the best of both worlds, a wheely backpack is your answer. You’ll have the convenience of wheels combined with the versatility of a backpack. It’s perfect for switching between carrying and rolling your luggage, and it’s great for those who want to be on the move all the time. Just know that it might be a bit pricier than other options and a bit heavier!
- Osprey Unisex 80 Litre Convertible Travel Backpack
- Mountain Warehouse Voyager 50L Wheelie Rucksack
- Osprey Farpoint Wheels 36 Men’s Backpack
- Osprey Fairview Wheels 36 Women’s Backpack
In the end, choosing the right luggage depends on your personal style and needs. Think about how long you’ll be travelling for, whether you’ll need a bunch of different clothes for different climates and what you’ll be doing. With the right backpack or suitcase, you’ll be able to enjoy a stress-free and comfortable travel experience.
Whether you’re looking to travel solo or bring a friend along for the ride, our group tours in South East Asia & Australia are the perfect balance of culture, adventure, chill time & nightlife. You’ll arrive as strangers and leave as the best of friends.
Disclaimer: When you purchase through any of the above links we earn a small fee but you’ll pay the same. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.